Monday, October 16, 2023

English Language: A Medium of Communication


Since childhood, I have been fascinated by the English language. As a child, I often wondered if I would be able to speak this beautiful language with confidence and flair. I admired my seniors in school and my English educators in college. I also held great respect for Professor Mr. BK Ghai, whom I met while pursuing a Diploma in Creative Writing at the IGNOU center in Ludhiana. During my childhood time, English was less fashionable, and those who spoke the language were considered superior and received significant attention. A family member deeply ingrained this notion in us. This perception drove me towards mastering English, as there was an unusual hype around the language. However, I came to realize much later in life that English is just like any other language that is used as a medium to communicate your ideas. And this idea of superiority was unfounded. Now, policymakers too have come to  realise the fact and now have given the desired place to native languages in the school curriculum through NEP 2020.NEP focuses on literacy and numeracy in primary classes, where these subjects will be taught mainly in their native languages: Tamil, Kannada, Hindi or Punjabi.

Now it is high time for us all to accept the fact that English is just a language, not a criteria to judge anyone. Yes, It is also undeniable that English has attained the stature of international language and is mandatory to know if we want to flourish globally.

Ultimately, the decision of how much we wish to learn it lies with us ....


Monika Bedi

HOD, English

SHIPS

1 comment:

*Social media in child's life*

Social media has become an integral part of children's lives, shaping their social interactions, self-expression, and worldview. On the ...